SB Logo

Driving You Mad!

Let’s talk about motor insurance.

Along with Employers Liability Insurance (yes I know I bang on about it) Motor insurance for damage or injury to other people (Third Party Cover) is the only other compulsory insurance in the UK at the moment.

Some businesses have to have certain insurances to trade, but these are stipulated by regulatory bodies, not by statute law.

Let’s talk about COVER!

You will all be familiar with TPO – Third Party Only cover, which just about covers the legal requirement, then TPFT – Third Party Fire & Theft and Finally Comp – Comprehensive cover which covers damage to your own vehicle as well.

In truth nowadays TPO, TPFT are pretty defunct and almost all cover is Comprehensive. The main reason is that the biggest claims are the TP claims for injury, and Theft and Own Damage don’t add too much to the insurance cost.

Let’s talk about who can DRIVE!

Driving can be Insured Only, Insured & Spouse, Plus Other Named Drivers, then Any Driver, sometimes with an age stipulation, Over 21, 25 or 30. These restrictions often apply to sports models, or expensive vehicles. If imposed voluntarily they can reduce the premium.

Finally Let’s talk about USE!

This can be:

  • Social Domestic & Pleasure Only, then you can add Commuting to and from work.
  • Once you add Business Use by the insured in person, it becomes CLASS 1
  • Then adding business of the employer or partner, it become CLASS 2
  • Then adding commercial travelling it becomes CLASS 3
  • For commercial Vehicle you can add Carriage of your own Goods
  • Carriage of good for hire or reward – General Haulage
  • Privet Hire for taxis and the like.
  • Motor Traders get cover for Any Vehicle in their Care, Custody or Control

So that’s Motor Insurance in a nutshell.

If you have any questions just message me here

Have a great week 😎


BIBA 2023

BIBA 2023 Manchester Central

As a proud member of The British Insurance Brokers Association for over 40 years, and now as a board member, I can say without any hesitation that the BIBA conference in May each year, bringing brokers and insurers together in one place for three days, is one of the best and most productive weeks of the year.

This year the theme is “Rising to the Challenge” The BIBA Conference 2023 | The British Insurance Brokers’ Association

If you have annual arrangements you wish to arrange or renew, doing it at the BIBA conference each year is probably the most effective way. The range of providers present and more importantly decision makers, all in one place make for an excellent conference.

Add to that the line up of keynote speakers and sessions each year, bring everyone up to date with what’s new and emerging as well as all the legal and regulatory matters that will affect our businesses going forward over the next 3 – 5 years. If you are an insurance professional #biba2023 is the place to be.

It’s also nice to be in the middle of something which has been in planning for the last 12 months, leading directly from the manifesto which is published in January each year. In 2023 we are #managingrisk & #deliveryingstability.

Looking forward to meeting friends old and new and securing services that will directly benefit our clients going forward.

Have a great week, I know I will.





Always on demand!

Up until very recently car or van insurance was always sold on the basis that you own or are legally responsible for the vehicle, under lease or HP agreement and so intending to have that vehicle for some considerable time, you took out an annual insurance and built up a no claims bonus.

If that is your situation, then t is still the best way to approach motor insurance, but what if that’s not where you are or ownership, lease or hire purchase doesn’t fit your business model?

The world is becoming an increasingly complex work environment with far more people opting to work when they want, for as long as they want, with who they want and that means a long-term commitment to vehicles simply doesn’t meet their needs. No point having a work vehicle if its sits on the drive for long periods of time.

Well now there is at least another option.

If you hire a vehicle for a short period, up to a month, whether that is a car or van, then you can now get insurance to meet your short-term requirements. It also gives you an immediate quote, so you know exactly what your cost is going to be and can build it into the contract price to your customer.

If you need this type of cover, or just want to know more about it, head on over to our website and check out the “GoShorty” links under Commercial & Personal services. (GoShorty is an independent FCA regulated business.)

Short Term Car & Van Insurance – Severn Bay

You can get the right cover, for the right period to meet your needs, and it even works if your picking up a new car or trialling a possible purchase. You can get short term cover to keep you legal.

We always have the right solution for you #becauseaccidenthappen to nice people all the time.

Have a great day